For Foreign Students Abroad: Re-entry to Japan

Update: August 12, 2020

To Foreign Students Abroad

This is a message from the university followed by a notice from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology(MEXT). This is to inform those who are considering re-entering Japan due to the partial implementation of face-to-face classes in the Autumn Term.

As part of the Japanese government's border control measures, you are required to undergo a PCR test at the airport, stay at home or other locations for 14 days, and not use public transportation. You are responsible for securing a place to stay for 14 days and how to get there in advance. Information is also available (partially) in English on the respective websites.

Unfortunately, the dormitories on campus cannot be used as a standby location for the 14 days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. The spread of infection in on-campus dorms is a great danger to the operation of the university and must be avoided at all costs. We ask for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

(The following is an unofficial translation of the notice from the MEXT, dated July 29, 2020, which has been partially rewritten by the Student Affairs Group for publication on campus.)
<Reentry of Foreign Nationals with Status of Residence in Japan>

At present, as a measure to strengthen the border control measures, foreign nationals, who have stayed in the area subject to denial of entry within 14 days or less, are subject to denial of entry unless there are special circumstances. As a result of this latest decision, reentry permit holders who left Japan prior to the designation of the area subject to denial of entry will be able to re-enter Japan as of August 5. Those who left Japan after the designation of the area of the denied entry and who do not fall under any special circumstances will not be allowed to re-enter Japan. If you are unsure of the date of designation of the area of refusal of entry, please check the website below or the Japanese diplomatic mission in your country of residence.

If you wish to re-enter Japan, you must obtain a "Certificate of Confirmation for the Submission of Reentry-related Documents" (hereinafter referred to as "Certificate of Confirmation") from the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General of Japan in your country of residence. At the same time, you must present a PCR test certificate that you took within 72 hours prior to your scheduled flight departure into Japan.

Students who wish to re-enter Japan are advised to apply for this certificate as soon as possible at the local Japanese Embassy/Consulate General of Japan.

If your country of residence has a policy of not testing asymptomatic individuals, you will need to go to a country or region where you can obtain the results of the PCR test and obtain a PCR test certificate that is dated within 72 hours prior to departure from Japan (departure time of the scheduled flight). If it is difficult to find a PCR test certificate by yourself, please consult with the local authorities or diplomatic mission in your area.

For details, please refer to the following links.

Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, "Re-entry of Foreign Nationals with Status of Residence":

Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, "Required Procedures and Documents for Re-entry":

(Reference and related websites)

The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's website, "Questions and answers about drastically strengthening border control measures

On the Ministry of Justice website, "Refusal of landing to prevent the spread of a new type of coronavirus infection (translated partially to English and other languages)

Headquarters for Countermeasures to Combat Infectious Diseases of the New Coronavirus," the Prime Minister's Office website (in Japanese only)

(end of the notice)

Page top