Why are there chapels on the ICU campus?
The ICU Church was established in 1954 as an ecumenical, community church that also welcomes people from outside the university, and is seen as the heart of ICU. There are two chapels on campus―the University Chapel and Seabury Memorial Chapel. The latter was named in honor of the American youth educator and missionary, Ruth Seabury.
ICU believes that human growth is essential to cultivating truly internationally minded citizens, a mission we have held since the university's founding. We also believe that faith has a major role to play in that growth. The chapels at ICU are a manifestation of our mission that is academic pursuits supported by a Christian view of humankind. They stand for prayer to God that always lies at the heart of ICU, including its ceremonies of matriculation, commencement, and other ceremonies.