Facilities and Campus Map

Facilities and Campus Map

Download Campus Map

University Hall

University Hall housed the Mitaka Research Institute of Nakajima Hikoki before the war. Completed in 1952, a fourth floor was added to the original structure. The outer walls were refurbished in 2003. The building houses classrooms and study rooms, as well as the Social Science Research Institute , Institute of Asian Cultural Studies , the University of California Tokyo Study Center , the Sacred Music Center and the Health Care Office.

Design: W.M. Vories & Company
Construction: Taisei Corporation

Bakayama120523-058.JPG
b.UniversityHall.091021-01.jpg

ICU Sacred Music Center

Established in 1977, the Sacred Music Center (SMC) took over the responsibilities of the Organ Committee that had managed and administered the Rieger Organ since its installation in the University Chapel in 1970. The SMC sponsors regular organ concerts, Christmas concerts and open lectures, and organizes private organ lessons for ICU students.

Chapel111102-05.jpg Chapel.081219-20.jpg Chapel.081219-20.jpg

Library

Since its opening in 1960, the Library has always been at the center of the university's academic information services. Its collection of more than 790 thousand volumes in Japanese, English and other languages covers a multitude of subjects in response to the needs the College of Liberal Arts and Graduate School. In 2000, the new Mildred Topp Othmer Library opened; it was the first in Japan to operate on an automated book storage / retrieval system. It offers a variety of cutting-edge multimedia services, including a study area with PC booths, PCs for lending, group study rooms, a multimedia room, group learning area, writing support desk, and various other facilities for information access, class use, and self-study. The ICU Archives and Special Collections and the Office of Special Needs Support Services are also located in the main Library.

Design: Raymond Architectural Design Office, Inc.
Construction: Taisei Corporation

  

Education and Research Building

Completed in 1978, it contains the faculty. The Institute for the Study of Christianity and Culture , the Institute for Educational Research and Service , the Peace Research Institute , the Center for Gender Studies(Japanese) , the Rotary Peace Center, are also located in this building.

Design: Akira Inatomi
Construction: Takenaka Corporation

Education and Research Building II

Education and Research Building II was added in 1991. It houses faculty offices and Japanese Language Programs(JLP) as well as the Research Center for Japanese Language Education.

Design:Shin Kenchiku Sekkei Jimusho
Construction: Taisei Corporation

Science Hall

Completed in 1967, the Science Hall is the center of education and research in the field of natural sciences, accommodating classrooms, laboratories, computer facilities, and faculty offices. In addition to an NMR, electronic microscopes, mass spectrometer, and laser microscopes, a biotron is installed in a separate building.

Design: Akira Intatomi
Construction: Takenaka Corporation

  

Integrated Learning Center

The Center was completed in 1981 as a communal facility. It houses classrooms, computer rooms, Digital Media Lab, psychology laboratories, faculty offices and Center for Teaching and Learning.

 

ICU Hachiro Yuasa Memorial Museum

The Museum opened in 1982 to commemorate Dr. Hachiro Yuasa, the founding president of ICU. He donated some 6,500 items from his Japanese folk art collection. The Museum has a permanent display of folk art from around Japan including ceramics, textiles and wooden objects. It also holds three special exhibitions annually on specific themes. Archaeological remains from the Paleolithic through the Jomon eras have been found throughout the ICU campus grounds. Excavated items include clay pots, stone tools and a reconstructed stone floor on permanent display in the Museum. The Museum is open to the public and also holds lectures.

  

Physical Education Center / Central Locker Building

Completed in 1972, the Physical Education Center is equipped with rooms for ball sports, martial arts and weight training, as well as an indoor swimming pool. Faculty offices of the Department of Health and Physical Education and lockers/showers are located in the Central Locker Building, built in 2001. Outdoor facilities include tennis courts, baseball, soccer and rugby fields, archery field and camping grounds.

Central Locker

Design : W.M.Vories & Company Architects Ichiryusha
Construction : Takenaka Corporation

 

Sports Clubhouse

Completed in 1990, the building houses student clubrooms, lockers/showers and conference rooms.

Design and construction by Taisei Corporation

Diffendorfer Memorial Hall

Completed in 1958, the three-story Diffendorfer Memorial Hall East Wing is named in honor of Dr. Ralph E. Diffendorfer, who contributed greatly to the founding of ICU. It serves as a community center for faculty and students, housing an auditorium, student clubrooms and the Religious Center. The West Wing was completed in 2000. The four-story building houses a soundproofed music room in the basement, lounge, cafeteria and multi-purpose hall on the first floor, store and conference rooms on the second floor, and student club rooms on the third and fourth floors.

East Wing

Design : W.M. Vories & Company
Construction : Taisei Corporation

West Wing

Design :W.M.Vories & company architects Ichiryusha
Construction : Taisei Corporation

  

University Chapel

The ICU Chapel was completed in 1954. A pipe organ constructed by Rieger Organs of Austria was installed in 1970. Matriculation and other ceremonies, as well as chapel hour, are held in the Chapel. Services of the ICU Church, which are independent from the university, are open to the local community.

  

Seabury Memorial Chapel

Named in honor of Ruth Isabel Seabury, who contributed greatly to the founding of ICU, the Chapel was completed in 1959. Ceremonies and meetings with a small number of participants are held in this Chapel.

Design: W.M. Vories & Company
Construction: Taisei Corporation

Alumni House

The building was completed in 2000 to house the Alumni Association. The Alumni Association Office and the Alumni Lounge on the 2nd floor.

Design: Design: Raymond Architectural Design Office, Inc.
Construction: Iwamotogumi Co., Ltd.

Complex of Dining Hall, conference rooms, short-term dormitories and the offices listed below. (Completed in Aug. 2010)

Kiyoshi Togasaki Memorial Dialogue House/Dining Hall

Complex of Dining Hall, conference rooms, short-term dormitories and the offices listed below. (Completed in Aug. 2010)

Basic design: GYA Architects Inc.
Building plans: Nikken Sekkei
Construction: Taisei Corporation

  

Administration Building

Completed in 1978, the building accommodates the President's Office, other administrative offices and meeting rooms.

Design: Raymond Architectural Design Office, Inc.
Construction: Taisei Corporation and Takenaka Corporation

 

Taizansō

The Taizansō is a villa comprised of six buildings located on campus that has a history preceding ICU's foundation. The "One-Mat Room" in one of the buildings is an important structure created by Takeshirō Matsuura who pioneered expeditions in Hokkaido. The six buildings were designated Tangible Cultural Properties in 1999.

  

Student Dormitories

ICU has twelve student dormitories for undergraduate and graduate students on campus where students can enjoy the ever-changing beauty of the four seasons in the Musashino area.

  

Other Facilities

The ICU Institute for Advanced Studies of Clinical Psychology , faculty residences etc, are also located on campus.

Facilities in Other Locations

During the summer, students use the Sanbiso Retreat and Miki House near Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture and the Nasu Campus in Tochigi Prefecture for extra-curricular activities. (Nasu Campus are now unused.)

Nasu Campus The Sambiso Retreat Miki House

PAGE TOP