In March 2017 ICU has joined the United Nation Academic Impact, which is a global initiative that aligns the United Nations with institutions of higher education around the world.
The United Nations Academic Impact is informed by a commitment to support and advance ten basic principles, and ICU will pursue all of these principles.
- A commitment to the principles inherent in the United Nations Charter as values that education seeks to promote and help fulfil;
- A commitment to human rights, among them freedom of inquiry, opinion, and speech;
- A commitment to educational opportunity for all people regardless of gender, race, religion or ethnicity;
- A commitment to the opportunity for every interested individual to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for the pursuit of higher education;
- A commitment to building capacity in higher education systems across the world;
- A commitment to encouraging global citizenship through education;
- A commitment to advancing peace and conflict resolution through education;
- A commitment to addressing issues of poverty through education;
- A commitment to promoting sustainability through education;
- A commitment to promoting inter-cultural dialogue and understanding, and the "unlearning" of intolerance, through education.
United Nations Academic Impact