Regarding Exchange/Study Abroad Programs
Update: November 2, 2020
To all students,
Given the negative impact caused by the worldwide spread of COVID-19, differing restrictions on entry/departure implemented by national governments, and resulting travel restrictions still continues. While ICU's top priority will be on student's safety and will keep monitoring the infection status, ICU will give permission to ICU students to travel to their destination and participate in the Exchange/Study Abroad Programs on site after January 1st, 2021, under all of the following conditions. Details will be announced directly to the program candidates. These policy guidelines will be revisited as necessarily depending on the infection status and/or changes in the Japanese government's policy.
Conditions in the host country
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Overseas Safety Level/Infectious Diseases Level are both "2" ("Avoid Non-essential travel") or below.
- Student visas are being issued.
- Host country has in place clear conditions and guidelines concerning self-quarantine on entry, infection prevention, etc. and arrangements to fulfill those requirements are available.
Conditions in the host university
- Permission to arrive and participate in study abroad program on campus has been granted by the host university.
- Permission to enter the campus has been given to all students, faculty and staff.
- A sufficient number of face-to-face courses is in place for the academic term that student is attending to justify the international travel.
- Necessary infection prevention measures that fulfills criteria to be considered sufficient by ICU are in place.
- Safe housing arrangement have been agreed before departure.
Conditions for the student
- Student must attend minimum of one complete academic term at the host university.
- Physically and mentally healthy.
- Guarantor acknowledges and permits the student to travel overseas and participate in the study abroad program.
In cases where students cannot travel to their host institution, if this institution provides online teaching that does not require physical attendance on campus and approves ICU students' participation from Japan, ICU will approve the students' "study abroad" even if they remain in Japan. Subsequent travel to the study abroad destination will be permitted if and when the situation improves.
If the host institution provides options to defer the timing/length of exchange study and if the student prefers such an option, the International Office will be flexible and work with the individual wishes of the student.
If there are students who wish to withdraw from the Program due to the COVID-19 situation, ICU will accept the "withdrawal request."
With these policy, the official announcement on May 11, 2020 'Regarding 2020-2021 Exchange/Study Abroad Programs Starting from 2020 Autumn Term' shall be revised.