Questions about the Graduate School in General

Q1. Does ICU Graduate School have evening classes for those who work in the daytime?

A1. ICU has neither evening classes nor correspondence courses for those who work in the daytime. In principle, classes are open Mon-Sat, 8:50 A.M.-7:00 P.M. There is no regular classes for doctoral students.

Q2. Are students in the ICU Graduate School young in average?

A2. No, the graduate students cover a wide range of ages because they come from diverse backgrounds. Some of the students have worked then returned to the school to continue their research; some do research and housekeeping; and some have started research after retirement. For example, out of students who entered in Master's course in the last 3 years, about 1/2 is ages 23-29, about 1/3 is ages 30-60 (based on Monbukagakusho survey). Spending most of the time with other graduate students in the same area of concentration and learning the diverse backgrounds of those classmates have been a stimulating experience for graduate students. These experiences also have a significant impact on the students' research.

Q3. I would like to obtain teacher certificate(s).

A3. There are 2 types of teacher certificates: isshu (undergraduate-level) and senshu (graduate level). Those who already have high school isshu teacher certificates can earn credits that can be used to obtain a) junior high school senshu teacher certificates of Japanese/ Mathematics/ Natural Sciences/ Social Studies/ English/ Religion; and b) senior high school senshu teacher certificates of Japanese/ Mathematics/ Natural Sciences/ Geography& History/ Civics/ English/ Religion. To qualify, one must complete 24 units or more of graduate courses regarding the subjects or teachers' profession and receive a master's degree; or complete 30 units or more of such courses while enrolling at the graduate school for more than one year. In either case, one must have fulfilled the requirements of 'isshu' (undergraduate-level) teacher certificates by the time of application for 'senshu' teacher certificates. Students also have opportunity to skill up their teaching skills by working as teaching assistants. ICU Graduate School students who wish to obtain the senior and junior high school teacher 'isshu' Certificates can take subjects from the teacher training course in the College of Liberal Arts as a kamoku to rishusei. It is very difficult, however, to earn all the credits necessary to obtain the 'isshu' Certaificate in two years. Students may need to stay longer at the Graduate School. It depends on how many required credits the students have already earned as undergraduate. For more detailed information, please prepare a list of units you have taken as an undergraduate and contact the Educational Affairs Group.

Q4. I am an international student. Are all courses instructed in English?

A4. Since characteristic of ICU is bilingual education, courses are either offered in English, Japanese, or both. Thus, ICU has a tradition of appreciating diversity and learning from their differences regardless of their country of origin. Percentage of mix of English and Japanese differ among four Programs in Graduate School. In the following order, percentage of instruction in English is larger than Japanese: Public Policy and Social Research Program, Education and Psychology Program, Comparative Culture Program and Natural Sciences. In other words, each faculty will decide what language they would like to instruct, in Japanese, in English, or both, for their courses. So, some courses you would like to take might not be in English.
Generally, non-Japanese applicants need a certain level of Japanese skills (although there is no minimum score to apply) to be successful as regular student. Many international students take appropriate classes in Japanese Language Programs (JLP) to improve Japanese skills they need to take Japanese-instructed courses. The credits earned by taking the Japanese course cannot be counted as the credits necessary to graduate. One thing to remember is that beginner Japanese Language Program classes start from September. So if you would like to take this Japanese course, it is recommended that you enter from September. Still, you may write your master's thesis in English. All professors, even if they offer courses in Japanese, are fluent in English.
You can look at course offering of this year as a reference from "Syllabi" from here. Please choose "GRADUATE SCHOOL" from the left hand bottom. In the "language column", "E" means English-instructed; "J" means Japanese-instructed.

Questions on Student Support

Q1. How does ICU choose students for ICU Torch Relay Graduate School Scholarship for New Students?

A1. ICU Torch Relay Graduate School Scholarship for New Students are offered separately from undergraduate students to lessen Master's course students' financial burden and to enhance research activities.
To apply for ICU Torch Relay Graduate School Scholarship for New Students, enclose the application form for the scholarship and necessary documents with your regular admissions application. There are two chances of being selected, as merit-based (based on academic achievement at the time of screening) or need-based (based on an applicant's financial situation). An awardee is notified at the time of the announcement of the result of admission. Those who receive the scholarship will receive a 1/3 deduction from annual tuition and facility fees for Master's course*. (*provided not as allowances but as deduction from fees. No return payments are required.) The only academic fee to be paid before matriculation will be the matriculation fee.
For more information on the Graduate School Scholarship for New Students, please see the Admissions Handbook.

Q2. Can I receive scholarships after matriculation?

A2. Yes. We have ICU Torch Relay Continuing Student Scholarship, intended for second-year students of Master's Course. When you apply before the designated deadline and are chosen as a result of screening, you may receive maximum of 1/3 of the annual tuition and facilities fees for Master's course. Those Master's course students who applied for the Graduate School Scholarships for New Students can also apply.
For more information about this tuition reduction scholarship, please visit the website of Student Affairs Group.

Q3. I would like to live near campus after matriculation.

A3. There are several on-campus dormitories, and dormitories for graduate students are also available.
Information about dormitories will be enclosed with the information admission booklet.
You may also refer to the website of Student Affairs Group.
Other than above, off-campus student residences and apartments are available through an ICU cooperative agent. For more information, visit this website.

Q4. Please let me know about part-time jobs on-and off-campus.

A4. Information about work as a tutor and on-campus part-time jobs are available at the Student Services Division. The tie-up website also provides information about part-time work opportunities off-campus. *For details, please contact the Student Services Division.
Graduate Students also work as teaching assistant to support professors and as tutors at the Writing Support Desk. (Please note that international students holding college student visas must obtain permission from the Immigration Office: "Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted".)

Q5. How do students of the ICU Graduate School find employment opportunity after graduation?

A5. ICU offers placement services for both undergraduates and graduates at the Placement Office. Students are briefed on employment through various seminars and events, and are assisted with counseling, advice and information on career development.
For more information, visit Student Affairs Group website on Career.

Q6. Is there any financial support for doctoral students?

A6. There are two supports. One is ICU Research Scholarship for Doctoral Students. A scholarship of 127,000 yen per year is granted to students attending the doctoral course to support their research. No return payments are required. Students may apply annually up to three times during his/her regular term of residence, so it is recommended to confirm the application period beforehand. (Those who receive full scholarships for tuition and facilities fees are not eligible.)
Another is reduction or exemption of school fees for those who could not finish the doctoral course in 3 years but obtained qualification as a Doctoral candidate. Based on the certain conditions, the candidate can receive full or 2/3 of reduction of tuition and facilities fees (and full exemption from re-admission fees for those who should withdraw) from their 4th year. It is recommended that students acquire doctoral candidacy by the end of their 2nd year in order to fully utilize this support.